søndag den 5. april 2015

Easter done Gedser-style


The moon setting over the ocean this morning
No chocolate eggs for me today - instead the Easter bunny brought me a solid morning of ringing. Despite conditions being pretty much identical to yesterday I didn't catch as many birds, however the result was still not bad for an April morning. I ringed 27 birds this morning, again, mostly Dunnocks. Two new Firecrests were ringed as well. I also re-caught lots of birds from yesterday morning, with a total of 10 retraps.

 
Determining the sex of birds is not always easy - but in the case of 
Firecrests it is. The left bird in these photos [above] is male, and 
the right bird is a female. Males have a bright orange streak in their 
crown, while females only have yellow.

A proud looking Chaffinch ringed today
I went for a walk along the beach later this afternoon to collect belemnites and hunt for amber - no luck on the amber, but I'll keep trying. All up a great way to spend my Easter Sunday!

Breakdown 05/04/2015:
Dunnock (Jernspurv) - 7
Robin (Rødhals) - 3
Blackbird (Solsort) - 2
Song Thrush (Sangdrossel) - 2
Chiffchaff (Gransanger) - 1
Goldcrest (Fuglekonge) - 2
Firecrest (Rødtoppet Fuglekonge) - 2
Great Tit (Musvit) - 3
Chaffinch (Bogfinke) - 3
Greenfinch (Grønirisk) - 2
TOTAL = 27


Lizzy Joyce

Ingen kommentarer: